December Athlete of the Month: Skylar Rojik

After her third knee surgery, #4 is eager to be back on the court

Skylar Rojik takes a shot during a home game last season. Photo Courtesy of Skylar Rojik.

Christian Eckelhofer, Staff Writer

SHS senior Skylar Rojik, one of this year’s tri-captains of the girl’s varsity basketball team, is back on the court following a leave of absences for six months due to her third knee surgery. Rojik’s right knee has been injured while playing both soccer and basketball for SHS. With her first home game on January 9th,  Rojik is back and ready to go.

Rojik has been playing basketball since she was seven-year-years old, playing throughout elementary school and middle school on the Level A Travel Team as well as several club basketball teams. Her dad, Brian Rojik, was her coach from fourth through eighth grade. “He would always pick out things I needed to improve on, so it was good criticism,” Rojik said. “He’s always been hard on me, but it was beneficial.” 

Making the girl’s varsity basketball team as a freshman was a notable accomplishment; however, Rojik spent the entire season sidelined due to an injury and subsequent surgery. During her sophomore and junior years, Rojik played as a guard on the team. During her junior year, she was a Patriot League All-Star, and she led the team in scoring. Rojik said, “It was great to play alongside teammates who were willing to work together for a successful season.”

As a senior, Rojik hopes to have her best season yet. Her teammates report they are happy to be regaining one of their starters. Senior and fellow captain Lauren Montgomery said Rojik is a “true player.” “The team missed her dearly. She brings determination to win and enthusiasm to influence the team,” she said.