November Athlete of the Month: Christine MacCune

“Teenie” makes a big impact on the field hockey team

Senior Captain and goalie Christine MacCune defends a shot. Photo Courtesy of Christine MacCune

Max Bates, Staff Writer

Scituate High School’s field hockey team had an incredible season this year, as they outperformed the expectations of even the most optimistic fans. The team was able to finish 13-3-1, and they were the fifth-seed entering the state tournament. Senior goalie Christine MacCune, better known as “Teenie,” was a huge reason behind the team’s surprise success, and as a result, she was named an all-star for the third season in a row.  

As a four-year varsity starter, MacCune’s efforts and skill have been impossible to ignore, which is why the 2016 all-scholastic winner is the Scituation’s Athlete of the Month. MacCune, who wears number 40, is a field hockey fanatic: when she is not playing the game, she is coaching the youth club True Grit. Teenie is also a member of student government and a captain of the Allies not Bystanders organization at SHS.

According to MacCune, no one has given her more support over the years than her dad. MacCune said, “He totally supports me and encourages me to do my best, and he has a little special quote he tells me before every game.”  For additional good luck, MacCune also wears her royal blue Crocs with giblets spelling “game day.”  MacCune added that her coach, Gates math teacher Andrew Barlow, made a notable impact on her over the years. Helping her develop her love for the game, Barlow was described by MacCune as “super funny and encouraging all the time.”

Despite having such an exceptional regular season,  MacCune and the girls had a shocking 3-2 loss to Barnstable in the second round of the MIAA tournament in double overtime. Although they lost, MacCune said she will always be able to look back on her time on the field hockey team with a smile.