Athlete of the Month: Emily Damrell

SHS Girls’ Soccer Co-Captain Emily Damrell Photo Courtesy of Emily Grant

Will Granatino, Staff Writer

Emily Damrell is a senior co-captain on the Scituate girls’ soccer team.  Oftentimes, she can be spotted at Coffee Corner purchasing two cinnamon sticky coffees, “one for now, and one for later.” “Em Dam,” as many like to call her, enjoys hanging out with her friends, or watching “One Tree Hill” with her three cats: Dude, Tude, and Tails, whom she did not name herself.  If she isn’t doing either of those, she can be found on the soccer field during a practice, a game, or on her own time.

Damrell fulfills a large and important role on the team as a center attacking midfielder and wide forward, sporting number 21. When asked about her motivation, she said she strives to meet the expectations from her coaches and teammates. Damrell stated that she likes being a senior on the team because she is able to mentor the underclassmen through her leadership.  However, her biggest motivation is the support from the town of Scituate. She said, “When you look off the field and see packed bleachers, you know that the whole town is supporting you, and that’s motivating alone.”

Damrell has been playing the game of soccer since she was five-years-old, saying that she could not imagine a life without it. Because of the “amazing” people she gets to play with and being able to call her teammates her “second family,” Damrell said the high school soccer season is her favorite time of year.

While some athletes have certain pre-game meals or rituals, Damrell doesn’t seem to have any, saying that soccer is just a part of any regular day.  The senior co-captain doesn’t have a specific pump-up song, but she did say, “Our warm-up CD has 45 minutes of sick songs, and when any of those play, I’ll be amped.”  When asked about her plans for next year and if soccer would be involved, Damrell said that she “does not have anything mapped out yet, but since I’ve been playing soccer my whole life, I can’t see myself stopping anytime soon.”

The girls’ soccer team hopes to make another return to the state tournament.  When asked about the playoffs, Damrell said that the team needed to focus on one game at a time, but would like to make her senior soccer season as memorable as possible.