The Scituation

Scituate High School's student newspaper

The Scituation

The Scituation

Polls

Are you addicted to Wordle?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Students Should Spend More Time Outside During School Day

Olivia O’Malley
Courtyard here at Scituate High School

As the weather is getting nicer, students at Scituate High School want to be outside more during the day. Teachers and administration should allow more time outside for students throughout the school week.

Research shows that “Children spend on average only about four to seven minutes per day outside, almost half as much time as 20 years ago,” says students from Loyola University Chicago. Scituate High School Health teacher Mrs. Mulvaney expressed her opinion on students having more outside time. “Students should get more outside time during the day, research shows that it increases focus up to two hours after getting exercise.” This seems to equate to greater focus from students and an overall deeper investment in their studies. Mrs. Mulvaney stated, “Students ask to go on walks anyway, or to the bathroom which includes a walk too; students are needing it and getting it anyway they can.” Throughout the day, students ask to go to the bathroom or to go on walks. Sitting for 6 hours straight through school days can be difficult and students are finding ways to get up and move. 

Polled students said that a break would be very helpful, reporting that it could make them more engaged during class, interact with peers better, and improve their overall behavior.

Health teacher Mrs. Dwyer acknowledged that a walk can help: “It improves tension, increases neurotransmitters, dopamine, serotonin, endorphins,”  which help to wake up the brain within the school day. “Some people may think you don’t have time during the day to go outside, but it is actually proven that it will help make students learn and work faster in class,” says Mrs. Dwyer. 

As students here at Scituate High School, we believe outside time is crucial for our success.