What are the advantages to pursuing a degree outside the US?

Tessa Norton and Emma Barton share their perspective
Melissa Grazioso
Tessa Norton (left) and Emma Barton (right) will pursue college degrees outside the United States

Every year, several SHS students make the monumental decision to further their education by attending a university outside of the United States. Since the average tuition cost (per year) to attend a public university (out of state) is $23,630, and a private college costs an average of $42,162 (according to U.S. News), some students are pursuing their degrees outside of the country.

SHS senior Tessa Norton, who decided to attend Ireland’s oldest university, Trinity College Dublin, commented on what led her to go abroad for college. Norton first became interested in going overseas for college because of her older brother, who backpacked through Europe, which made her “insanely jealous of the life that he got to experience.” Eventually, Norton decided on Ireland because of her Irish ancestry and because her dad and aunt studied at University College Dublin. Furthermore, Norton has traveled to Ireland three times. Although Dublin is almost 3,000 miles away, Norton feels it’s important to venture out, saying, “I love Scituate–truly, my whole life is here, but it’s only a small town in Massachusetts.” Norton also revealed that to grow, she must embrace many more places. 

When asked how her family feels about her attending school so far away, Norton said her family supported her “1000%,” even commenting on how her dad’s been saying he’ll “probably be visiting her more in Dublin” than if she went to school in Boston! Norton will be majoring in political science and geography with a minor in linguistics at one of the best universities in the world.

Emma Barton, a graduating senior who will be studying at the University of Victoria in Canada, said originally, her whole family started considering a move to Canada during COVID-19 to be closer to her mother’s family, but they “never really committed to it.” Then, early during her junior year of high school, the thought came back, and Barton started researching Canadian colleges. With that, Barton’s family revisited the idea of moving to Canada to get away from the political polarization happening in the US–and because her grandparents are getting older.

Barton said she feels “excited and scared” to move so far away: she is excited about the new opportunities in Canada, but she will miss her friends.  When asked if she thinks she’ll receive a better education in Canada, Barton said she’s unsure if it will be better, “but it will be cheaper.” Barton plans to study science; however, she hasn’t selected a specific area of focus.