The Scituation

Scituate High School's student newspaper

The Scituation

The Scituation

Polls

Are you addicted to Wordle?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

This I Believe: Don’t Let Time Pass By

Colleen Blanchard
My mother captured a joyful moment when I was four years old

I believe in living in the moment, and although I can say that I don’t live by it every day, I believe it’s essential to living a life with no regrets and vital to seeing the good in every situation.

When you no longer feel the need to prove something or impress others, life becomes so much easier and fun. When you no longer feel the need to rush toward goals or “chase your dreams,” the process becomes much more enjoyable and peaceful. When you learn to be in the present moment and enjoy what you have and are right now, you begin to live life while also working on your goals without the pressure of having to “become better” 24/7.

With this mindset, it’s also important not to take your life for granted. Live every second of it right here now–stop thinking you need to have something or be somewhere to finally feel as if you can start enjoying it because that won’t be the case, and you’ll end up wanting more. What you seek, if not outside of yourself, has always been within. Be in that state, in the moment, where you can relax and feel content where you are now–appreciate and enjoy it. Learn to find peace where life is–not where you want it to be. 

Every day is an opportunity, and if you’re constantly focused on the future, which doesn’t even exist yet, you’ll spend your entire life simply watching it pass by without even realizing it. In one of my personal favorite poetry books by Ranata Suzuki, “The Longest Night: A Collection of Poetry from a Life Half Lived,” Suzuki expresses how there will be a last of everything: the last time you hear a loved one’s voice, the last time you hold your pet, the last time you enter a room, and although sometimes we know when it is the last moment, usually we don’t know “until that moment is gone and it’s too late to go back and relive it.”

I’ve lived my life as a constant planner, a person who freaks out when thinking about the future, especially recently with figuring out college plans and career paths. Deciding to major in political science has always been my plan because I’ve been obsessed with politics from a really young age. I’ve always loved watching politicians perform because they are putting on a performance for their constituents, and it’s really entertaining to watch them.

I don’t want to be a politician, and I don’t really know what I’m going to do with a political science degree. One day, I’m thinking about being a lawyer, and the next, a journalist. Although looking forward is important, knowing you are living life right now is crucial to the human experience.

My favorite quote is, “Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans.” I believe you cannot pass by what you are living now, so take it in and live it.