Things I will (and won’t) Miss About The Hybrid Learning Model

Allison Seidel, Staff Writer

The past year has been difficult for everyone. Switching from virtual learning to in-person learning each week has put a burden on the learning environment in which students and teachers spend multiple hours. Although virtual learning was difficult at times, there were also some aspects that weren’t so bad after all.

For example, sleeping in. On remote days, I didn’t get out of bed until 8:00-8:10 each morning. I got up, made my coffee, and sat right back down to log onto my first block class. On in-person days, I got up at 6:55 AM, ate breakfast, and got ready for the day, without any time to relax. 

Although I felt lazy toward the end of a remote day, I always looked forward to getting that extra hour of sleep that I didn’t get on Wednesday and Thursday nights. Along with the extra sleep, I will also miss the freedom of being at home. After I was told to log off of my class, I immediately finished my work, and I was then left with another hour of free time before my next class started. I even took a few naps in between the blocks. 

Now, onto the things that I won’t miss about online school. For starters, technical difficulties. One of my worries every time I log onto a class is my computer shutting down and not being able to start back up. Everyone experienced their own technical difficulties throughout the year, and it’s almost always embarrassing. Also, forgetting that you are unmuted. The second-hand embarrassment that can come from one of your classmates being unmuted is truly hard to deal with. Along with technical difficulties, participating through a computer screen comes with its own sense of awkwardness that cannot be prevented no matter how outgoing you are. When a teacher calls on you, it seems that the whole class is paying attention to what you’re saying, even if they really aren’t.

Although I didn’t expect to go to class over a computer screen a few times a week during my senior year, some of the little things kept me going throughout these crazy times. After the week of April 12th, when Scituate High School returned to full in-person learning, I think everyone will feel a sense of relief. Even if they will miss the comfort of their own home and their morning routines, I am sure that they (and I) are happy to see their classmates, especially after not seeing some of them for over a year. It will definitely be an adjustment, but I can speak for many when I say that we are excited that the reunion with our teachers and friends is finally here, even if it’s just a wave in the hall.