Buttigieg Is the Perfect AP Lang Student

Michael O’Connell, Editorial Editor

The morning after the Democrat primary challengers sparred on the debate stage in Charleston, the Scituation’s newsroom was asked to cast their ballots.  In the first round of voting, Bernie Sanders, and Pete Buttigieg became the obvious front runners, with Amy Klobuchar, and Mike Bloomberg finding one supporter each in the newsroom.  “Someone else,” came third with four Scituation staff members looking elsewhere. President Trump received no support. In a second-round, when students were asked to decide between only Senator Sanders or Mayor Buttigieg, Sanders prevailed, but not as convincingly as expectations about the politics of New England teenagers might predict.  

Sanders’ top spot seems to mirror the nation’s top preference, too—at least in Iowa, New Hampshire, and Nevada—as does Buttigieg’s second place.  Given where Sanders’ has focused his policy proposals and attitude—namely on creating free public college, legalizing marijuana, and taking down the establishment—his support among teenagers seems par for the course.  For Sanders’ campaign, his progressivism is a double-edged sword: advantageous in the way that it makes him the clear choice for any steadfast progressive optimists, or capitalism skeptics; disadvantageous in the way that it forces Sanders down a lonely road littered with Cold War concerns about socialism, and a looming question of cost.  It is nonetheless surprising to see the platform of a Democratic Socialist gaining traction in a tony town like Scituate, which would have completely rejected the same ideas only four election cycles ago. Most of all it speaks to the ubiquity of political disaffection in America.  

There is, however, more ambiguity about the nature of teen support for Buttigieg; unlike Buttigieg, Sanders has had a more difficult time distinguishing his politics from other centrist runner-ups.  Nevertheless, Mayor Pete has legitimate support, so what is it that separates him from the likes of Joe Biden or Amy Klobuchar? One factor is certainly age; Buttigieg is 20 years younger than Klobuchar, the next youngest candidate.  There is among younger voters—which polls still overwhelmingly show supporting Sanders—some confidence that millennial Pete is more up to the minute and capable than Boomer Amy or Elizabeth.  

Second is his presentation; Buttigieg strings words together in a way that eliminates any doubts about his dedication to preparation.  Tangentially, Buttigieg has developed something I can only describe as the “AP affectation.” His style and cadence fit the bill of an AP Lang dream student.  A plethora of craftily employed rhetorical devices is sure to get Buttigieg a perfect score of 5, but will it be enough to get the bigger prize: 270? It follows that teens who have been conditioned by classes like AP Lang are going to latch onto the candidate who has the qualities of the successful student they want to be.  Smooth-talking is an approach with a respectable appeal, having helped a long shot Illinois senator to the White House in 2008. Pete is definitely the smoothest orator on the debate stages. Amy Klobuchar even attacked him on this, jabbing, “It is not just who talks the best, who actually gets things done,” ironically proving the point with her own lackluster word skills.  Klobuchar still makes a good point, and to that end, teens shouldn’t forget the analysis skills AP Lang was meant to instill in them. Peel away Bernie’s populism, and Pete’s well-placed words, and what remains? Bernie supporters would say a record of consistency, and a New England common man story, whereas Buttigieg supporters might talk about an impressive academic record and executive experience as South Bend’s mayor.  

The debate about whether a septuagenarian, anti-establishment, career Washington politician or a fresh-faced, establishment vetted, outsider is better suited to hold the keys to the White House is happening at all levels of Democrat politics.  Consensus may be becoming a rarer thing, but as the next generation of voters can begin to cast their ballots, the direction of the next half century’s politics will become increasingly obvious—so choose wisely.