SHS Drama Club Takes On Matilda The Musical!

Mark your calendar for April 5th, 6th, and 7th
Matilda will be performed on April 5th, 6th, and 7th in the Performing Arts Center

After last year’s popular musical, “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee,” anticipation for this year’s musical has been building. The wait is over because on April 5th, 6th, and 7th, the SHS Drama Club will present its spring show, the hit Broadway musical “Matilda.”

After the show won seven 2012 Olivier Awards (Olivier Awards are the British Tony’s), including Best New Musical, it’s no wonder the drama club wanted to tackle its diverse cast of characters–include the authoritarian principal, Miss Trunchbull, who at one point swings one of the students, Amanda, by her pigtails and entraps misbehaved kids in the nail-lined “chokey,” and the sweet teacher, Miss Honey, who sees how sharp-minded Matilda is. 

The head of the SHS drama set department, SHS sophomore EK Labadia, expressed excitement for the show, stating there are “a lot of cool things” they built for the show, including swings, a chalkboard, and bookcases. Labadia also mentioned they watched the show “loads of times,” noting their favorite characters are Matilda’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Wormwood.

Director Elizabeth Clancy expressed her appreciation for this ensemble piece, saying it gives everyone in the cast “a lot to do.” When asked how last year’s musical will compare to this year’s, Clancy said “Matilda” has more choreography and is more “dynamic” because it’s longer than “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.”  

The anticipation felt by members of the SHS Drama Club about “Matilda the Musical” is being projected throughout school this week, as music from the play is being broadcast during passing time. Mark your calendars for April 5th (7:00 PM), 6th (7:00 PM), and 7th (2:00 PM) to see this magical musical at the Performing Arts Center!