The Scituation

Scituate High School's student newspaper

The Scituation

The Scituation

Polls

Are you addicted to Wordle?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

33 SHS Students Qualify for Seal of Biliteracy

New world language learning strategies making a difference
In 2023, eight SHS graduates qualified for the Seal of Biliteracy. This year, 33 SHS students qualified.

The Seal of Biliteracy, a certificate for students who demonstrate proficiency in their world language, represents a significant achievement throughout the United States. This year, 33  Scituate High School students qualified, increasing from eight in 2023. According to World Language Department Chair Kathryn Ciulla, this spike could be attributed to new learning strategies implemented this year. SHS world language teachers also expect the number of qualifying students to increase in future years. 

So, what exactly is the Seal of Biliteracy, why is it important, and how do students qualify? 

The purpose of the Seal is not only to recognize students who work hard and excel in their world language classes but also to help them stand out to potential colleges and universities. According to the Massachusetts State Seal of Biliteracy information, the Seal acts as a “statement of accomplishment for future employers and for college admissions.” It appears on a student’s transcript or diploma when they graduate. 

Qualifying for the Seal is challenging. The enrollment process involves top grades on assessments and a notable dedication to the study of world languages and English Language Arts. Students are required to have passing scores on English MCAS, demonstrating a full grasp of the language. A score of six or higher on all four sections of the STAMP (STAndards-based Measurement of Proficiency) test as SHS is also needed.

The STAMP test is crucial in determining a student’s grasp of the language. “We don’t do verb conjugations,” said Ciulla, “Our emphasis is on proficiency, and that’s exactly what this test assesses, so what can you do with the language, what situations can you communicate about, not necessarily like, ‘do you know how to conjugate these verbs in these tenses?’” A majority of the students who want to qualify said they were interested in taking a language for all four years. In a poll of 20 students, 80% said that they would possibly take a language for their whole high school career and that it is beneficial to their futures. “Taking a language in high school is a good opportunity, and colleges like to see it on your transcript,” said junior Ava Carpenter. 

Receiving the Seal of Biliteracy is an incredible achievement that distinguishes students beyond high school. Employers are likely to hire bilinguals, which can open up options in the future. Since 2020, this award has been available at SHS, but in the future, the World Language Department aims to improve classes to make it a graduation requirement. All students are encouraged to strive to earn the Seal by the time they are in 11th grade.

Offering advice to SHS students, Ciulla emphasized the importance of learning a language: “Practice, practice, practice. Take advantage of every opportunity your teachers give you to hear the language, to speak the language, to ask questions about the language. Study abroad, go abroad, meet people and connect with people from other cultures and who speak other languages because it’s that connectedness that motivates us to learn.”