Scoir is Transforming the College Application Process

Scoir will replace Naviance at SHS
SHS juniors were introduced to Scoir in early March

For over ten years, Naviance has been a keystone program in the college application process for SHS seniors. However, the recent switch to Scoir, a platform that strives to “expand college access and improve student outcomes,” could transform this experience for college-bound students in Scituate.

SHS guidance counselor Elicia Kelley offered some information about Scoir, having learned all about the program before introducing it to SHS juniors in early March. Kelley explained that Scoir has replaced Naviance due to its “better functionality and flexibility,” noting that it “runs smoother.” According to Kelley, Scoir is implemented in many schools nationwide, and it has received positive reviews.

Scoir can make browsing for colleges more precise. In the past, SHS seniors had trouble narrowing down their list of schools, with certain filters not displaying all the information they wanted. Scoir’s browsing filters are more accurate, with heightened attention to detail within each school’s information. Scoir also allows students to apply to colleges directly through the app (an alternative to using Common App simultaneously).

Scoir is a tool to help guide and support students and their families through the challenging application process. Using Scoir, parents can view their students’ accounts and make suggestions (without making any changes), and guidance counselors can track how a student’s process is going, such as what they’ve completed and what still needs to be done. Naviance was only able to show whether or not a student had submitted. 

SHS guidance counselors recently introduced SHS juniors to Scoir by conducting information sessions during their English classes. Plans are underway to train SHS underclassmen on the program before the end of the academic year. SHS juniors Patricia Gibbons and Bridget Norris participated in the sessions and reported that although the college process seems “daunting and overwhelming,” they are excited to use Scoir. Norris said she looks forward to “learning more about it and seeing how it can help keep things organized.” 

Launching a new program with students new to the college application process is challenging. Still, Kelley remarked that to achieve success, “everyone has to work together toward the shared goal.” Describing Scoir as “student-friendly,” Kelley noted that a new program will take some getting used to, but it is a step in the right direction to easing the stress of applying to college.