The Scituation

Scituate High School's student newspaper

The Scituation

The Scituation

Polls

Are you addicted to Wordle?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Three Talented SHS Musicians Have Earned a Spot In Statewide Music Festival

All-State Music Festival Highlights Superior Artistry
Scarlett+Hickman%2C+Matthew+Short%2C+and+Michaela+Whittaker+will+represent+Scituate+at+the+MMEA+All-State+Music+Festival+this+weekend.+
Jacob Simmer
Scarlett Hickman, Matthew Short, and Michaela Whittaker will represent Scituate at the MMEA All-State Music Festival this weekend.

On Friday, March 22nd, and Saturday, March 23rd, three SHS students will participate in the Massachusetts Music Educators Association (MMEA) All-State Music Festival. The festival, which has been hosted by MMEA for 70 years, includes a full day of rehearsal at Mechanics Hall in Worcester, MA, and a concert at Symphony Hall in Boston with a renowned conductor. 

Scituate will be represented by seniors Scarlett Hickman and Matthew Short and freshman Michaela Whittaker. According to SHS music teacher William Richter, “Each year our students audition for the SE District Music Festival, and the ones who do the best are invited to audition for All-State.” All three auditioned for the Senior Districts music festival in November 2023. Various district festivals are held around the state, with SHS students placed in the Southeastern District. If someone does well during their district audition, they can be recommended to audition for All-State. Students attend these festivals for both instrumental music and voice.  

Whittaker and Hickman were chosen to go to All-State for voice, while Short was accepted for trumpet. For voice, 265 singers from across the state make up an ensemble that will perform during the concert at Symphony Hall. Since there are 351 towns in Massachusetts, having two vocal students from Scituate in the festival is impressive. Out of those 265 vocalists, Whittaker is expected to be among a select group of high school freshmen. Richter commented, “It is very unusual for a freshman to make the festival–usually about 5% of the entire festival of 600 students are 9th graders. Michaela works very hard at her craft.” Whittaker remarked that participating in the festival is “one of the highest honors that a young musician can get,” and she is excited to be included.

SHS  students, staff, and community members can purchase tickets to the All-State concert, which will take place on Saturday, March 23rd, at 1:00 PM, by visiting the tickets section of the Boston Symphony Hall website and selecting the MMEA All-State Concert. Richter enthusiastically remarked, “Acceptance to the MMEA All-State Music Festival is one of the highest achievements a high school musician can reach,” adding, “All three deserve this distinction.”