Soles of Rhythm: SPS’s New Step Team

The SPS Step team performed during this year’s MLK celebration

Jordan Gardner, Staff Writer

The Soles of Rhythm team is a welcomed addition to Scituate’s community. Although you may assume it is only a dance team, it is much more.

Simply stated, step is like playing drums with your body. The performances are an explosion of personality and creativity, where one creates song and dance with their body alone. The concept originated in Africa, used initially for celebration and communication.

Scituate’s Soles of Rhythm step team, comprised of middle and high school students, has now evolved into an inspiring club comprised of a wonderful group of young students.

Enjoying their first year together, the team has already made strides to go above and beyond. Captains Akheerah Rahman and Jayla DaVeiga push the girls to excel, and their efforts pay off in their performances. The team presented their first public performance on January 16th during the SPS Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Service in the Performing Arts Center. Despite a few technical difficulties, they persevered and delivered an outstanding and energizing performance.

The team’s second performance took place on February 16th at New Bedford High School as part of a Black History celebration.

One of the team’s goals is to be recognized as a sport and have official school-funded performance uniforms with black and gold colors. They are also interested in competing against other schools’ step teams.

This exceptional group of girls is expanding and enriching Scituate High School and Gates Middle School, and we can’t wait to see more from them in the future.

Practices are held in the Gates School black box theater, the movement studio, or the gym every Monday and Wednesday. If you have rhythm and a collaborative spirit, look out for tryouts next year and give your full support to the team.