SHS Students will Celebrate Saint Patrick’s Day in Ireland!

Clare Kennedy, Staff Writer

This coming March, Scituate High School students have the opportunity to spend Saint Patrick’s Day in the ideal location: Ireland! 

After a delay due to covid, the high school’s world language program is ecstatic to spread the word about this year’s exchange trip. Students will spend ten days in West Cork, Ireland, departing on Thursday, March 9th, and returning on Sunday, March 19th. This location holds a special place in the Town of Scituate’s heart, as West Cork is our town’s Sister City. 

Throughout the trip, students can expect a cultural Irish experience that will expand their global knowledge and appreciation for Irish heritage. Each student will be staying with a host family for the duration of the trip, giving them the opportunity to eat traditional Irish meals, learn about the Irish culture, and bond with their hosts

When asked about the importance of this trip, SPS world language department chair Kathryn Ciulla said, “Allowing our students to experience these types of opportunities opens their eyes up to other cultures, other communities, and other ways of living.” 

Ciulla explained the typical day-to-day itinerary will be as follows: Students will begin their mornings with their exchange families and enjoy breakfast. From there, they will experience the first hour of an Irish school day at the local community high school. While there, they can expect to join in on classes, get to know the students, and ultimately build international friendships. After a short day of school, students will explore the area through excursions and day trips. Students will then end the day back with their exchange families for dinner and typical evening activities.

Some of the excursions include sightseeing, ferrying to different islands, and day trips to local towns. It is safe to say there will never be a dull moment for Scituate students who are participating. 

Scituate students will pay $1600 for this trip, which includes airfare, meals, excursions, and housing for chaperones. 

Although sign-ups are complete for this year’s trip, Scituate is hoping this will become an annual exchange trip. For next year’s purposes, please note that the criteria is simple: All that is required is an application explaining why you’re the perfect candidate. The requirements are easier to complete compared to other exchange trips because there is no language barrier. There is no second language needed to attend West Cork, which is yet another reason interests students should apply. Ciulla explained, “This allows students to let their guards down and focus on the culture rather than basic survival.” 

In the fall of 2023, Scituate will welcome students from West Cork. Scituate exchange students will be putting their hosting skills to the test and opening their homes to Irish students. Hopefully, students can make Scituate a second home for their new Irish friends and reciprocate the hospitality extended to them when they visit Ireland in March.