NHS Tutoring is Back!

Grace Dousa

Students meet in Room 237 on Tuesdays during H-Block to take advantage of the NHS tutoring program

Grace Dousa, Social Media Manager

National Honor Society is an organization you can qualify for at the end of your junior year by maintaining a certain GPA and exemplifying their four pillars: scholarship, service, leadership, and character. Every year with these inducted members, NHS holds tutoring sessions for all subjects and grade levels during H-block. Recently, these tutoring sessions returned.

For the 2022-2023 school year, all students are welcome to attend the weekly Tuesday H-Block tutoring sessions in SHS history teacher Richard Kermond’s room (237). Simply sign up on MyFlexLearning (look for NHS Tutoring), and there will be multiple senior members of NHS available to tutor you. These tutoring sessions are a great opportunity to meet upperclassmen and receive direct help on any schoolwork you may need. 

This program provides for the community in several manners. NHS faculty adviser and SHS history teacher Andrew Roberts is excited to get back into NHS tutoring and commented on the many advantages. He stated, “Students afraid to ask a teacher can go to a peer who has gone through the course to help explain it in a different way.” Roberts explained there are also benefits for the senior tutors because “they get a chance to wrap their head around what they’ve already learned and give back to their community.” 

SHS history teacher Kristen Emerson, who is also a faculty adviser for NHS, echoes its value–especially since it lacks the “intimidation factor of going into a teacher they may not know very well.” The student-tutors are all experienced in a range of challenging courses and are more than willing to offer their help to anyone searching for it. 

In years prior, NHS tutoring sessions were offered before and after school. This caused issues because many students were not able to attend due to after-school activities–or the inability to get a ride. This year, they are held during H-block every Tuesday in Kermond’s room (237) to create an accessible learning environment for the students. It’s a great, quiet workplace where anyone is welcome to come in for tutoring or simply to have a safe space to work.