How to Register to Vote

Register by October 29th to vote in November

Jordan Gardner, Staff Writer

This month, I had the joy of turning 18. Being a legal adult comes with pleasantries, such as being responsible for any legal contracts you sign, having the choice to enlist in the military, serving on a jury, getting married without your parents’ permission, and voting.

But you don’t have to be 18 to register to vote, so how can students ensure they’re prepared to participate in the future of America?

First, to register to vote in Massachusetts, you must:

• Be a US citizen
  • Be a resident of Massachusetts
  • Be at least 16 years old (you must be 18 to vote)
  • Not be currently incarcerated for a felony conviction

If you’ve checked all these boxes, you are on your way to registering to vote!

There are four ways that you can register to vote.

• Through the Registry of Motor Vehicles

When you Apply for or renew a driver’s license, apply for or renew a learner’s permit, apply for or renew a state ID, or apply for health insurance through the Commonwealth Health Connector, you will automatically be registered to vote.

• At Town  Hall

Scituate’s town hall is located at 600 Chief Justice Cushing Hwy (next to the high school). As you walk through the main doors, turn left, and turn left again through a doorway, and you will meet a cohort of town employees who can help you register to vote. You will need proof of US citizenship, date of birth, mailing address, town/city, complete zip code, driver’s license number, last four digits of social security number, and party affiliation. I did this option, and the entire process took about three minutes.

• Register Online

If registering online, you must have a signature on file with the Registry of Motor Vehicles. The portal to register online can be found at www.sec.state.ma.us/ovr/. The short questionnaire will ask if you are a US citizen, at least 16 years old, if you have an ID issued by the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles, your first and last name, date of birth, and driver’s license or learners permit nine digit number.

• Register by Mail

If you do not qualify to register online or prefer to register by mail, you may print out the voter registration form and send it. Make sure to fill in all of the required information.

Registering to vote is easy, and if you have a learner’s permit or driver’s license from January 2020, you are already registered. Remember the last day to register before November 8, 2022, election is a hard deadline of 5:00 PM on October 29th. The entire process takes no more than a few minutes. Voting allows us to share our voices and opinions in our local, state, and town elections, so why not be prepared to share your voice?