SHS Breaks its Seven Year No-Homecoming Streak

Bridget Nicolo, Staff Writer

Scituate High is abuzz with planning this year’s homecoming week. Though surrounding towns like Norwell and Hull have continued their annual homecoming traditions, Scituate has been homecoming-less since 2013. SHS Science teacher Steve Maguire remembers Scituate’s past homecoming celebrations: “We traditionally always had a dance, and it was all focused around sports and community, in general.” The tradition was lost about seven or eight years ago, though, when interest faded at SHS.

Senior Class President Celia Rees wanted to change that this year. Rees and former Vice President Siobhan Reidy have been working with the administration to bring homecoming into effect since 2020. Unfortunately, the pandemic sabotaged their plans. Rees, however, is excited to put this celebration together full steam ahead. The Class of 2022’s student government has been working closely with different community groups—utilizing other student governments and student councils. Rees has one wish for the Scituate High School community: “Everyone should go!”

According to Rees, Scituate’s homecoming week is filled with events for the whole community. She urges students to “go to the dance, participate in everything, participate in the spirit rally, participate in going to the varsity games after school, and go to the clubs’ carnival to savor these high school moments.” She added, “After the lost year from the coronavirus, it’s the perfect time to get involved.”

What specifically will this homecoming entail? In short, SHS’ homecoming will be a week-long celebration of Scituate school spirit. From Tuesday, October 12, to Friday, October 15, SHS sports teams will play in a series of home games for the whole community to attend. Student Council will organize an entire spirit week. After school on Friday, SHS clubs will participate in a pre-football carnival on the field for the town of Scituate. Soon after, the varsity football team will play Hanover under the lights on the turf. Homecoming will commence in a school-wide dance held in the SHS gym. It’s sure to be an action-packed week.

Athletic Director Scott Paine is excited to bring the whole school together throughout the week: “I just want people to be involved with each other. I think it’s really important.” He hopes that students will make an effort to attend every game they can and get involved with their community.

Student involvement seems to be the overarching theme of homecoming. After the year we’ve endured as a Scituate High School community, there’s no better time to come together and celebrate our accomplishments. The bottom line? Participate! There’s something for everyone throughout the week, and it’s sure to be a perfect way to kick off the 2021-22 school year.

Here is an overview of the planned schedule:

Monday 11:
No School!
Tuesday 12:
4:00 p.m. Varsity Girls Soccer vs. North Quincy
Junior Varsity Girls Soccer vs. North Quincy
Wednesday 13:
4:00 p.m. Varsity Field Hockey vs. Marshfield
Varsity Girls Cross Country vs. Plymouth South
Varsity Boys Cross Country vs. Plymouth South
5:15 p.m. Junior Varsity Field Hockey vs. Marshfield
Thursday 14:
4:00 p.m. Varsity Boys Soccer vs. Quincy
Junior Varsity Boys Soccer vs. Quincy
Friday 15:
4:00 p.m. Junior Varsity Volleyball vs. Quincy
4:30 p.m. Club Carnival!
5:15 p.m. Varsity Volleyball vs. Quincy
7:00 p.m. Varsity Football vs. Hanover
Saturday 16:
6:00 p.m. Homecoming Dance!