New Beginnings for Chambers

New English Department Chair transitions to life at SHS

Matt DiPesa, Editor in Chief

“If you’re interested in something…give it a try,” said Carl Chambers of his career path, which has led him all across the country to jobs in a variety of fields. Chambers has certainly prioritized doing what he loves on his path to Scituate. The Buffalo, New York, native recently started working at Scituate High School as its English Department Chair.

The path Chambers took to get to this point is unique. He took undergraduate courses at Stony Brook University in New York. An avid sports fan, Chambers taught lifeguard training and aerobics fitness classes while playing lacrosse for the school. After graduating, he started working on Wall Street and served as a stocks and bonds broker for two years. Despite the hefty paychecks he earned in this role, Chambers felt unfulfilled and frustrated.

Focusing instead on pursuing his passions, Chambers moved to California, looking to get involved in film. It was there that Chambers first became aware of the small, coastal community on the other side of the country. He met Scituate native and Boston University film grad Tim Day while working on a project, and the two became close friends. Day was well versed in the workings on the film industry, so he was able to help Chambers catch on quickly, despite his lack of experience. Within a month, Chambers was promoted to assistant director of a small film. He continued to work on films in various roles, even acting and assistant directing in the movie Twisted Justice, which starred former NFL player Jim Brown.

Chambers soon discovered there wasn’t much money in the film business, and decided it was time to move on. He was slowly understanding how the perfect career combines financial stability with personal interests.

While he was in California, Chambers took graduate level exercise science courses at nearby UCLA. Again, he wanted to start “thinking about what [he] really loved,” so he decided to move to New York City and open a fitness training business with some of the money from his past jobs.

Chambers found success in his new field. He trained wealthy CEOs, who told him “how that end of the world works,” in exchange for tales of Chambers’ own adventures. He enjoyed the personal connections he made with these people and was satisfied at the opportunity to better people’s lives. Despite this, Chambers remarked that he felt like “a professional friend,” and didn’t truly see himself growing as a person as a fitness trainer. Chambers’ doubts about the field were multiplied when one of his trainers stole a valuable item from a client. Frustrated and disappointed, Chambers fired his trainers and got out of the business altogether.

At this point, Chambers longed for a job where he could be successful and happy for the rest of his life. “Ever since I was in middle school, I wanted to be a teacher,” he said, and he decided to return to his roots, seeking out jobs as an educator.

After about two years of contemplating his next move, Chambers learned from a friend about a teaching opportunity in New York City with Teach For America. His friend had applied and did not receive an offer, despite having a Ph.D. in Biology from Cornell University. His friend was upset about not getting the job, so Chambers asked what he had planned for his lesson. The friend hadn’t planned a lesson at all, and his interview was essentially a lecture on biology. Inspired to correct his friend’s mistakes, Chambers filled out an application of his own. However, he took a different approach: Instead of a lecture, Chambers planned an interesting and interactive lesson to be presented to approximately 20 different New York City principals and educators. It was a hit, and he got the job.

Chambers then taught at an inner-city school with what he described as “not such a positive atmosphere.” Chambers was discouraged, but still felt he had finally found his true passion with teaching. He finished the year, and his students were successful, which helped him gain connections in the education community.

Chambers accepted an offer from a school in Vermont to become a principal. Eventually, he was offered a high level position with the Agency of Education for the entire state. He turned down the role because he felt he was “moving in the wrong direction,” as the promotion would further distance him from his true passion, teaching. Chambers heard of a job opening in his friend Tim Day’s native town of Scituate, and he was eager to apply.

All these years later, Chambers is excited to settle in Scituate. He sees the job at SHS as a “great opportunity” to get back to teaching, and he is thrilled to work somewhere with such a “positive culture.”

*View a portion of my interview with Mr. Chambers featured in the “Jake and Andy Show”  here.