The Relocation Commotion

Sara Moskowitz, Op-Ed Editor

Amidst the new middle school construction, SHS faces a pervasive parking problem. Following the holiday break, SHS parking spots have been relocated, as the front staff parking spots are impacted by construction. Staff parking has been moved to the former “junior lot,” located behind the gym. Approximately 55 student parking spots were reassigned to the SHS staff. Additional student parking was moved to the former bus lot, located near the fire station. 

Students were assigned parking spots based on when they turned in their parking application. Principal Robert Wargo earnestly believes this was the best coarse of action. When asked why he wouldn’t move juniors he replied, “Going by late applications would ensure most seniors would save their spots, and there is already a whole lot full of seniors.” As a consolation prize, Wargo raffled off his own parking spot.

Despite Wargo’s admirable sacrifice, some students remain disgruntled. SHS basketball player Garrett Mullin said he knows the parking reassignment was something the administration had to do, but he wishes seniors were given priority. Nevertheless, he said, “I respect Mr. Wargo for giving up his spot for someone who was relocated.” Other seniors are less forgiving of the administration’s decision. Lily Reid, a senior honors student athlete said, “Seniority no longer exists, and this just proves it.” Reid thinks the parking system is unfair. She said her birthday was at the end of July, which gave her less time to obtain her driver’s license or apply for a parking space. She has an older sister who drove her to school last year, which made a driver’s license unnecessary. When Wargo was asked what he would do about late birthdays, sports cutting into driving hours, and carpooling, he commented that he “doesn’t want to go too deep.”