Scituate Celebrates A Second Successful Year of Unified Track

Max+Reimels%2C+a+unified+track+athlete+getting+pumped+up+for+his+meet%2C+supported+by+his+fellow+teammates+and+friends.+
Shamus Keefe
Max Reimels, a unified track athlete getting pumped up for his meet, supported by his fellow teammates and friends.

This spring boasts the start of the second Unified Track Season at SHS.  The team had its last meet the week of May 6th which was a great success for the Scituate Sailors. Unified athlete Bridgid Coleman explained: “Our recent meet went really good, we ran really really fast, jumped really really far, and had a lot of fun.” 

For those who are unfamiliar, Unified Track is a Spring sport that includes all Scituate High School students. The featured Unified Track events are javelin, long jump, shot put, 100-meter dash, 400-meter dash, 4 x 100-meter relay, and the 4 x 400-meter relay.  Coach Michael Timcoe mentioned the importance of unified sports at SHS, “I think that any unified sports improve Scituate High School because it gets more students into sports who probably wouldn’t be playing. I think exercise is great for everybody.”

The benefits of exercise are clear to the Unified Track athletes: “In unified track, you get to participate in events that you can’t in other places,” student-athlete Claire Popeleski mentioned. Popeleski also mentioned her favorite events in Unified track are the running and the field events.

The team also creates a tight-knit community. Coleman added, “Everyone should do unified track because it’s a lot of fun and you get to spend time with your teammates.” 

Timcoe expressed the value and importance of community: “I also think it brings us up and creates another community within the school. I think community is important, and I also think it gives a chance for the iExcel kids to get more involved.”

Timcoe, who helped with Special Olympics at his former school, is enthusiastic about this opportunity, as well as the chance to add more events in future years: “The fact that we were able to do 4 different meets last year…I think that was a huge accomplishment.”