Myles Wasserman: Guitar Aficionado at Scituate High School

SHS senior Myles Wasserman is a self-taught musician

Myles Wasserman is plugged in and ready to play. A member of the Class of 2024, Wasserman is known at Scituate High School for his self-taught musical talent on the guitar and drums. Dedicating hours of work to hone his craft, Wasserman has been playing guitar for nearly two years and just recently started playing the drums six or seven months ago, a fact many may find shocking after hearing him play. His talent speaks to the tremendous amount of time he has spent in school and at home working to refine these skills.

Wasserman was first introduced to music by his parents and brother early in his childhood. Growing up, he was constantly exposed to music, as his mother sang and played the piano, and his brother played the guitar and drums. Having such a personal relationship with music from early on led him to become a passionate musician. With a few pointers from his brother, Wasserman began to teach himself the guitar without taking any lessons.

SHS music teacher William Richter said, “The way that [Myles] learns is mostly hearing someone else play and then copying or simulating that. And he does that very, very well.” Richter is impressed that Wasserman independently taught himself multiple instruments. 

Wasserman said he enjoys the satisfaction of learning a song all the way through and seeing his hard work pay off when he can play something initially difficult. But hard work means hours of dedicated practice in an effort to improve. When asked if he has difficulty managing his time when he is so committed to music, Wasserman responded, “I find time for it no matter what, and I’m still able to get my school work done, so I think that’s a benefit. I spend a fair amount playing and practicing, especially for school events.” Music has allowed Wasserman to become more involved in his school community, something he has showcased with fellow musicians at events such as “Our House” and during sporting events.

In August of 2023, Wasserman and some other SHS musicians decided to start an after-school band, practicing once or twice a week in their own time. SHS junior Brendan McCarthy, a trumpet player and percussionist in the band, explained that he got to know Wasserman more after they started playing together:  “[Myles] plays the guitar and the drums as well. As a multi-instrumentalist myself, that’s something I look up to.”

According to McCarthy, Wasserman has the important role of rhythm guitarist, but his outgoing and kind personality also contributes to the band’s success: “[Myles] would always have his parts ready. I feel like that’s one of the things that makes him a strong musician. He’s always prepared, and he always takes up on his own duties,” he said. 

Focused on his personal musical progress and his future beyond high school, Wasserman is planning to attend college and pursue his academic career. Although he doesn’t plan to study music in college, he stated, “I definitely want to keep up with it and find other people that play and be able to connect with other people through music.”

Praising Wasserman’s efforts, Richter commented,  “My hope for him is that he continues to play the instruments he does, and I hope that the passion he has for those instruments keeps up…I just hope he keeps on playing.”