Committed Athlete Ryan McGourty will Attend Curry College

Ryan McGourty has played on the SHS varsity soccer team since he was a sophomore

Alexander Roche, Contributing Writer

SHS senior Ryan McGourty committed to Curry College, located in Milton, Massachusetts, where he will be majoring in law enforcement and continuing his athletic career as a Division 3 level soccer player.

McGourty has been a high school soccer team member for four years, playing at the varsity level since he was a sophomore. An essential member of the team, McGourty is a Patriot League and an Eastern Massachusetts All-Star.

With a long-time dream of playing soccer at the collegiate level, McGourty said, “I started playing goalie because I had asthma, so I didn’t like to run.” McGourty added, “My dad taught me hard work, and I could not have done this without him.” 

At SHS, McGourty has inspired lots of underclassmen. Freshman Kaleb Ribeiro-Tarmey has looked up to him since the first time they shared the field together. Ribeiro-Tarmey commented, “He truly is one of my biggest inspirations.” He explained, “In the summer at the first captains’ practice, I knew no one on the team. Ryan immediately came up to me and made me feel welcomed and like I had already been part of the team.”

McGourty looks forward to attending college and starting the next chapter of his life. He is excited to meet all of his new teammates and make new friends.