SHS Students Welcome Mr. Haddad Back to SHS

Jamieson Hodlin, Staff Writer

After a one-year retirement from teaching, SHS French and Spanish teacher George Haddad is back and better than ever. Since 1998, Haddad has been a staple in the world language department. With a storied career at SHS, Haddad decided to retire after the 2020-2021 school year. During this time, Haddad was able to keep himself busy by traveling to Spain and Portugal with his wife, working at his family-owned restaurant, Haddad’s in Marshfield, MA, and completing projects around his house and church. Haddad believes “when you look for things, there is always something new to do.”

Although Haddad wasn’t planning on returning to SHS, his love for teaching and creating bonds with students ultimately led him out of retirement. After one of the district’s French teachers decided not to return to SHS, the high school administration reached out to Haddad and asked if he would be interested in working part-time. Knowing how difficult it is to hire qualified foreign language teachers, Haddad knew the district was “desperate” for a French teacher. “I said I could help out if it was something I could work with.” Haddad said. Consequently, he agreed to teach A and B (morning) blocks so he would still have some free time during the week.

SHS senior James McLean, who was a student in Haddad’s French 3 class during his sophomore year, stated that his “favorite part about Mr. Haddad’s class is that he tries to make the class more interesting. He likes to play games that teach you French and do fun things you normally don’t get to do in class.”

Sophomore Lawson Foley, who is currently taking French 3, described Haddad as a “great teacher who is always happy to help kids and puts them in a position to succeed with all the extra help he offers.”

When asked what he hopes his lasting impact on the SHS community will entail, Haddad said, “That my colleagues will enjoy seeing me, students will love coming to my classes, and former students will be willing to come up to me and talk to me if they see me around town. Overall, I just want to have a positive influence on the high school.”