Senior Sleigh Ride Spotlights Ira Zhusti

An award-winning community activist joins the Senior Sleigh Ride

Mary Stevenson

Ira Zhusti enjoys contributing to her SHS community

Natalia Lipchitz, Scituation Club Writer

Our current sleigh ride senior, Ira Zhusti, has had an impressive number of accomplishments throughout her high school career: During her junior year, she introduced Saturn scheduling app to the SHS community, she helped establish the Anti-Racism Club, and she won the Susan B. Anthony and Frederick Douglass community action award from the University of Rochester in Rochester, New York.  

Ira, who was born in Greece and moved to the U.S. when she was ten years old, enjoys being involved in pro-community organizations. Noting that trying a variety of different clubs helped her find the best fit, Ira also loves being involved in the Red Cross Club, Allies Not Bystanders, and Model UN. Taking a leadership role in the high school’s efforts to address racism has helped Ira create more connections with adults in the building.  

Known for her fun fashion sense, Ira is looking forward to this year’s senior prom. Due to COVID, the class had to reschedule their prom to April of 2022. As a student government representative, Ira is responsible for planning the event and coordinating with the Indian Ponds Country Club in Kingston. Although she has not selected her prom dress, Ira already knows she will be wearing gold jewelry. She plans to go dress shopping with her friends during the winter break.

Being a senior, Ira has already applied to numerous colleges, including Harvard University, Cornell University, Boston University, and Boston College. She would like to pursue a major in biochemistry. Ira speaks five different languages, Albanian, Greek, French, Italian, and English. She is hoping to use this skill during her future professional career and international travels. Considering her impressive resume, it wouldn’t be surprising if Ira goes on to help find a cure for a disease, which is one of her personal goals. 

When asked who she would like to bring on the Senior Sleigh Ride, Ira said she would bring Gretchen, Althea, Rosaline, and Rosalita because they are her closest friends and she enjoys spending time together.