An Update on GSA: Gender-Sexuality Alliance

New name and new faculty advisor–GSA offers a place to meet and talk

GSA welcomes any member of the SHS community to join their after school conversations

Valentine McNeilly, Staff Writer

Every school needs a place for students to feel welcome and accepted. At Scituate High School, GSA is a club that strives to provide a safe space for LGBTQIA+ students and allies, working with members of the community to create meaningful change. 

In previous years, GSA stood for Gay-Straight Alliance. This year, however, the SHS club chose to revise its name to encourage inclusivity: GSA now represents Gender-Sexuality Alliance. English department chair and GSA faculty advisor John Scopelleti commented that many other schools’ GSA groups have made the change and students at Scituate, as well as Principal Dr. Maguire, “wholeheartedly supported it.”

Scopelleti joined GSA as their advisor this school year, saying he “wanted to make sure that our LGBTQIA+ students and allies had a place to meet, talk, and plan.” SHS health teacher Shana Lentini and science teacher Kasey Kimball have both served as advisors in the past and have helped establish a great foundation for GSA. Scopelleti was very involved as the leader at the beginning of the year until student leaders were elected. Currently, seniors Lauren Bernstein and Gabe Wittrup are the club’s co-presidents, and senior Rylee Shaw is the club secretary. Scopelleti continues to be present and offers advice, but the club is largely student-run. 

So far this school year, GSA has participated in the Club Carnival and members are working to “collaborate and craft a meaningful student response to the hate-filled posts from earlier this year,” according to Scopelleti. He also mentioned that club members have made a lot of bead jewelry!

GSA is one of the best places to go if you are looking for a good conversation, no matter what it may be. They discuss topics such as the pros and cons of compromise and working to build each other up. They also hold all kinds of debates like the best video games and even the best flavor of skittles. Many thanks go to ELA teacher Courtney Hayden for supporting GSA by the use of her room and Elizabeth Clancy for being a consistent, supportive presence and great ally. 

GSA directly benefits and impacts students in the LGBTQIA+ community and their allies. It is a place to go to talk, get involved, or experience kindness even if you aren’t a member. Going forward this year, Scopelleti says they are “looking forward to creating fun and educational events for SHS, the Scituate community, and other communities.” GSA meets Wednesdays and Thursdays right after school in Room 244 for anyone who wants to support the LGBTQIA+ community at SHS–the door is always open!