Senior Sleigh Ride Spotlights John Murphy

Spreading kindness and school unity, John Murphy joins this year’s Senior Sleigh Ride!

Mary

John Murphy is the vice-president of Student Council

Carolyn Good, Scituation Club Writer

Known for his kind-hearted and bubbly personality, SHS senior John Murphy is very involved with his school community. As vice-president of the Student Council, John helps plan and host pep rallies. He is also responsible for organizing school-wide spirit weeks, fundraisers, and other activities to promote school unity.

According to John, his best accomplishments at SHS include becoming a member of the National Honor Society and learning a world language. John is currently taking Spanish 5 Culture Through Film with Julia Gutierrez. He is dedicated to his academics and feels particularly challenged this year in his AP Statistics class with Tara Szymaniak. He said he needs to pay attention and the concepts are difficult, but the work isn’t necessarily the hardest.

Although he was born overseas, John grew up in Southborough, Massachusetts, until he was 5-years-old. He has attended Scituate schools throughout his education. John’s favorite year at Scituate High School was his junior year due to the flexibility that was needed during hybrid learning. Even though it was during COVID, he thought the year was fun because everyone made the best of it. Planning to attend college after high school, John aspires to major in architecture.

John’s favorite memory at SHS was attending the band’s winter concert during his sophomore year. At this concert, the band performed “Sleigh Ride,” a musical selection by Leroy Anderson. John said his favorite holiday tradition is when his family drives around town to admire how everyone has decorated their houses for the Christmas season. 

If John could bring anyone along on the Senior Sleigh Ride, he would bring his older sister, Sara, because he enjoys spending time together during the holidays.