SHS Welcomes New Librarian

Samantha Roman, Sports Editor

Tracey Newman is thrilled to be working at Scituate High School as a full-time librarian. Although this may be Newman’s first year at SHS, she is not new to the area: Growing up in Marshfield and Norwell, she worked at the infamous knick-knack store in Scituate Harbor, The Quarterdeck, which is now the location for Lucky Finn Cafe. 

In fact, Newman has strong ties to Scituate, as two of her family members worked at Scituate High School. During the 70s and 80s, her grandmother, Emily Newman, worked at SHS as a home economics teacher.  Her aunt, Mary Ann Bernard, was a beloved school nurse in the 90s through the early 2010s. 

Newman also has a connection with one of the technology administrators, Jacqui Frongello: They worked together in Plymouth, where Newman was the secretary to the director of Library Media and Technology. 

As for her own family, Newman has two sons. One is a freshman at Vaughn College of Aeronautics and Technology in Queens, New York. Her younger son is in 6th grade at Hanover Middle School. 

After graduating with an undergraduate degree in English from Providence College and a Master’s degree in education from Salem State University, Newman was unsure what she wanted to do, so she found herself in several different jobs. 

She worked in children’s publishing at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in the reading language arts department as an editor, where she focused on reading intervention for students with reading challenges. Later, Newman was a long-term substitute at the Alden Elementary School in Duxbury for grades 3-5. She also worked at Hingham High School for five years; however, when a full-time position opened up at SHS, she jumped at the opportunity. 

Newman says she “loves the culture here and everyone has been super nice.” She hopes to bring new aspects to the library, including helping students conduct research with reliable sources. She wants to tighten up the book collection once the new sleeves come in, as many of the books are not displayed.

Newman is interested in student input and wants to make the library a productive and enjoyable space. She can’t wait to get to know everyone and says she would love for students to stop in and say hello.