Ethan Doty Qualifies as a National Merit Scholarship Finalist

Lauren Chiasson, Editor-In-Chief

The seven-year drought at Scituate High School has come to an end with senior Ethan Doty qualifying as a National Merit Scholarship Finalist for the year 2021. This distinction, which is based on a student’s Preliminary SAT (PSAT) score during their junior year, offers the opportunity to earn prestigious scholarships. Doty is one of 16,000 seniors in the country who advanced to the Semifinalist level of the National Merit Scholarship program by scoring in the top 1% of the country during the 2019 exam. To advance to the Finalist level, Doty submitted an application that included his academic record, extra-curricular activities, college essay, and an endorsement from the SHS administration. Approximately 15,000 students advanced to the Finalist level. 

Doty is a vibrant member of the SHS community: He participates in numerous clubs, such as Model UN, and he takes the most challenging AP classes SHS has to offer. Becoming a National Merit Scholar, however, was not always on Doty’s mind: “It was kind of just a test to see how I would do on the SAT, so I took it as an opportunity to see what I could possibly get,” Doty said. 

With a PSAT score of 1490 (out of 1520), Doty was automatically in the running to become a National Merit Semifinalist. Already improving his junior year PSAT score from that of his sophomore year, Doty also found areas where he could improve prior to taking the SAT. 

Aided by his guidance counselor, Marlene Hoffman, Guidance Department Chair, Tammy Rundle, and Principal, Dr. Lisa Maguire, Doty was able to send his application to the committee for review. Rundle explained the scholarship committee “wants to know about the classes that the student took in high school, and also the levels of the classes. Are they the most rigorous courses we offer?” 

“It’s a wonderful opportunity for Ethan, and he should be recognized for the work he has done,” says Rundle. With his National Merit Scholarship Finalist standing, certain “reach” schools became more accessible for Doty. In the fall, Doty will be studying economics at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.

This year, three SHS seniors were also recognized as National Merit Commended Scholars: Scoring in the top 3% of the country on the PSAT, Cleo Belber, Evan Halevi, and Jack Wilcox were also recognized for their academic achievements. 

Moving forward, the National Merit Scholarship Committee will release the names of this year’s scholarship winners. Doty and other Finalists are competing for thousands of scholarships that are funded through the National Merit Scholarship Corporation, 220 private companies and business organizations, and 180 colleges and universities. Students who receive scholarships are notified through the month of July.