Scituate Public Schools Welcomes DEI Director, Jamele Adams

Maeve Lawler, Editor-In-Chief

Scituate Public Schools welcomes Jamele Adams as the Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI). Adams enters the Scituate community with a positive and inclusive “always we, never me” attitude, as he plans to extend his DEI efforts by working collectively with others. 

Originally from Harlem, New York, Adams received his undergraduate degree at Penn State University, later attending Bowling Green State University in Ohio for graduate school. For over 26 years, Adams has been connected to efforts regarding DEI throughout his professional life. He has worked to connect with students at all educational levels in various facets, such as at community centers, churches, or events that foster creative expression. Adams has also previously engaged with the Scituate community through professional development work at the high school. 

Adams emphasizes that his role as the DEI Director is not work, but rather “efforts filled with nothing but love. I live it. I breathe it. I drink it.” As he holds this integral position for Scituate Public Schools, Adams constantly looks for new ways to bring people together and to foster meaningful, complex conversations. 

Having found his previous engagements with the Scituate community “warm” and welcoming, Adams was inclined to apply for the DEI position. Scituate’s commitment to furthering DEI efforts and building a sense of community attracted Adams, and made him excited that he “was able to join the Scituate family.” He believes now is the time “to be engaged with this kind of work and these efforts that ultimately bring people together and ultimately allow us to authentically be as present as possible in any number of spaces.” 

While reflecting on the hiring process, Adams says, “I can’t express the level of appreciation, gratitude, and warmth received and wanted to be reciprocated to everyone that was a part of the interviewing process.” Adams has experienced “nothing but intentional love and light and encouragement.” Having deep gratitude for his welcoming reception, Adams aspires to give back to Scituate students and the community, hoping to continue to build on the positive energy that he feels a connection to. 

In the short term, Adams wants “to be as present as possible,” striving to meet new people while also being accessible to those around him. Adams has visited each of the schools in Scituate, describing the connection with students as a “phenomenal” experience. 

In the future, Adams plans “to have clear and concise protocols when it comes to crisis management.” He also hopes to introduce opportunities that “bring people together” and “bring different energy that may not have been present before here.” However, Adams acknowledges and wants to build on the existing DEI energy present in the Scituate community, as he plans to create advisory groups composed of students and faculty. 

With his goals in mind, Adams ultimately wants to build a “constant energy and connection regarding DEI in all the schools in the district,” while ensuring “we have a shared journey.”  

When discussing how to address possible future obstacles, Adams brings a promising perspective to the table, referring to obstacles as opportunities. He explains, “A lot of folks will see some of these things as hurdles and they’ll see them as actual obstacles, but I think they actually present opportunities for us to engage and embrace in constant conversation and developmental conversation.” Adams does not take challenges into a “negative space,” rather using these opportunities as a way to invite people into conversations surrounding DEI while exploring new coursework and educational programs. 

Adams expresses that each word in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion holds its own definition. “But collectively, together, they represent the best possibility of authentically allowing the intersectionality of us all to be present and valued and appreciated.” When Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are present together, it fosters love and trust within individuals and within their interactions.

Adams is “so excited for the journey that we’re on together.” He asks each of us “to be able to be the love that hate can’t stop,” and to be “LIT,” an acronym for Love, Inclusion, and Trust.