Living in Paris: COVID-19 Edition

The global pandemic is not preventing Pia Bertola (right) from enjoying college life in Paris, France

Phoebe Swetish, Staff Writer

Visiting Paris, France, the “City of Love,” is a lifetime goal that has been put on hold for many international travelers, as the city recently returned to lockdown, placing strict restrictions on its residents. Nevertheless, this past fall, in the midst of the global pandemic, SHS graduate Pia Bertola began attending the Parsons School of Design in Paris. To get a look into the reality of living in an international city known for its food, culture, historic sites, and culture, I sat down with Bertola and had a chat about her new life abroad.
Majoring in art, media, and technology, Bertola is focused on taking foundational classes and filling the graduation requirements during her first year of college. Bertola said there are a variety of options for students: “Most people tend to look at an art and design school and feel that it’s only for kids who want to pursue fashion or become an artist like Da Vinci or Botticelli, but that isn’t true.” Bertola explained that many of the classes at Parsons encourage students to reflect on themselves, whether that is writing a personal essay or creating a podcast.
As a French citizen, Bertola is no stranger to France. While adjusting to college is difficult for anyone, she found herself right at home with her new roommates, who are now close friends. Bertola has always wanted to see the world and couldn’t wait to go off to college: “The hardest part was really saying goodbye to my parents and leaving my dog behind. Other than that, I fully threw myself into making friends, working hard in classes, and trying to soak up all Paris had to offer.” Bertola emphasized how different college is from high school, saying she was able to obtain a new sense of individuality that she didn’t have in high school.
Bertola looks back on her first-semester college memories fondly. She recalls a specific night when she and two of her roommates were just settling into their new apartment. They invited some friends over and made their first dinner together in their new home. They threw together roasted tomatoes, cheese, pasta, avocado, and onion salad and celebrated the night as friends. One of Bertola’s roommates, who is from NYC, purchased blank murals for Bertola and her friends to decorate. “Paris has so much to offer, and I was so lucky to have great roommates and friends,” she said.
Despite the wonderful memories Bertola has made throughout her time in France, she inevitably has dealt with the consequences of Coronavirus. Bertola remains optimistic, saying, “Although Covid did change my first-semester experience, it wasn’t at all negative. I lived in an apartment with five roommates, and we had a great time.” During her first month, Bertola was able to go out to shops and restaurants with her new friends and host Covid-safe gatherings at their apartment. Bertola notes the efficiency of both the French government and the staff at Parsons, commenting, “The teachers were very prepared to teach online, and the quality of education I received was still amazing. It makes me even more excited for the full semester of in-person classes.”
Currently home for the holidays, Bertola is taking a break from her thrilling new life as a student at one of the world’s most well-respected design schools. When she returns to Paris after the break, Bertola will be welcomed back to her second home to reunite with her roommates. It is clear she’s having a wonderful time in Paris, even with the restrictions of Coronavirus.