METCO Students Encourage Change at SHS

Maeve Lawler

Michelle Crawford is the director of the METCO program in Scituate

Haley Dockendorff, Staff Writer

Scituate Public Schools have collaborated with the Metropolitan Council for Educational Opportunity (METCO) for 52 years. Through this program, students are transported by bus from Boston to Scituate starting in early elementary school. Unfortunately, this program, which brings students from many different backgrounds together, is rarely discussed in the classroom.   

“It is important that these conversations start from birth,” says Scituate’s K-12 METCO director, Michelle Crawford, adding, “difference is something we just don’t talk about.” Crawford is beginning her third year with Scituate Public Schools and has been talking to students and community members about recent issues and controversies regarding racism and racially charged incidents at Scituate High School. When asked how the METCO students and students of color have been dealing with these issues, Crawford said, “Now that they’ve had time to process and talk about it and make sense of what’s going on, all that’s left is the pain and the adrenaline of wanting to change this.” 

SHS senior Gianni Cannady is a METCO student who has been attending Scituate Public Schools since first grade. “It’s tough coming all the way here from Boston and having to deal with this stuff when I could already have issues going on at home…it’s exhausting,” says Cannady. He and his friend and fellow METCO student, Elbert Perez, hope to see some change in the school’s administration and curriculum. 

“When I came here in 8th grade, everything seemed to be fine, and then you would hear stuff like, ‘Can I have the n-word pass?’ from my white friends,” says Perez. “Continuing on to the high school, there were obviously issues within the school and the town, but now it’s become more uncomfortable as things start to come out from kids my age–we don’t feel as welcome,” he added. 

There have been recent controversies over how Scituate’s administration responds to racially-charged incidents. This year, many students are hopeful there will be more light on the situation with several new members of the administration, including a new superintendent, principal, and assistant principal of Scituate High School. 

“In the past, things have been really reactive,” says Crawford, “this administration is working really hard to put systems in place to ensure that we are addressing things with a culturally proficient lens.” 

Many students have been advocating for education in the elementary schools about the METCO program and accurate accounts of black history. From the student perspective, Perez stated, “It’s important for the parents to teach their kids about the program from a young age, but [the METCO program] should definitely be in the curriculum, at least starting in middle school.” 

Cannady also thinks the program isn’t taught at a young enough age, saying how “it isn’t implemented enough,” and that he “wants the younger kids to be able to go to school and not feel targeted.” 

Recently, there has been a big push for social change. Unfortunately, as Crawford said, “The change that happens now is going to be slow and painful. It takes time to break down years of oppression.” 

Fighting for this change now is important to many students, as these efforts will be reflected in students for years to come. 

“Elementary school is a perfect time to start talking about our differences,” says Crawford. Crawford emphasized that talking about differences at a young age exposes students to different cultures and backgrounds, which could help avoid the issues and prejudices that are formed early on and exposed later in life.