An Internal Outreach: Support services expanding at SHS

Kylene True, Staff Writer

As new programs for Scituate students to join support groups have emerged, it is the administration’s hope that students will take advantage of these opportunities.  Scituate as a whole strives to cut the stigma on mental and emotional health, and focus on students coming together and supporting one another.

A yearly survey is sent out to students to gather data about the issues that impact them in their daily lives, whether it be family, mental health or drug-related.  However, the concern that the statistics represent is overlooked as a mere number. Due to this cumulative effect, Scituate High School psychologist, Steve Howley, with the help of the administration, has taken an action plan with the data presented.  

What started as the administration wants to take a look at the wellbeing of students via surveys, has transitioned into an active outreach.  The opportunities for kids to get support include a depression training, “How Not to Keep a Secret,” to make kids more aware of how to approach mental illnesses.  Students outside of high schools outside of Scituate, including Hingham and Cardinal Spellman, are all welcome to attend a one-day workshop to become educated on the signs of depression and how to help.  The group, “Kids of Promise,” as well as a vaping support group, are available for students who are or may become impacted by substance abuse or vaping.

Scituate High School psychologist Steve Howley describes the “ideal situation” being that students will reach out for support on their own but concedes that in our small community this cannot be expected.  According to Howley, “one on one” reach out came to mind when evaluating the situation. These groups are run with an expectation for confidentiality between students and adult facilitators, which he hopes will make students more apt to join and participate.

Howley explained that the initial reaction he hopes to see includes “individuals feeling more confident” and promoting “a different group of students to come together.”  The anticipation is that students will become more comfortable seeking support knowing there are more commonalities between students than the statistics show.

Programs initiated at Scituate High School ask students and community members to “look within themselves,” but also recognize that there are individuals and professionals who can assist with self-reflection.  According to Howley, the goal “is that students and adults know there is a supportive community” of people who care and want to reach out.