How to Survive the College Essay

Julia Cuneo, Features Editor

College essays: two words that are bound to send any SHS senior into a state of immediate distress.

The guidelines of the essay are simple: give the colleges a sense of your authentic voice, show who you are as a student, write about something that is not included anywhere else in your application, be creative and original, avoid cliches, and set yourself apart from the thousands of other applications they will be receiving all in under 650 words.

There is no denying that the pressure of writing this essay is enough to make anyone feel entirely overwhelmed, especially when it is paired with the rigorous academics of senior year. But, what if there was a way to make this essay less of a weight and more of an opportunity to write about something meaningful in a stress-free way?

Senior Emily DiPola explained one of the hardest aspects of the essay for her, saying, “We’re all complicated people and you have to write about one thing that is supposed to describe you perfectly, which isn’t really how it works.” When deciding what topic to write your essay about, head of the English department, Mr. Beattie, said, “It’s the small things in life that are the most meaningful and can be the most impactful writing.” It’s less about finding a life changing event, and more about writing about something important to you, whether that be big or small.

Senior Connor Ahern explains another important aspect to keep in mind during the college essay process. “Don’t listen to your parents,” Ahern said. “My parents were trying to force me into a certain topic and then I ended up going to a completely different topic. Don’t listen to anyone trying to force you into a certain direction.” Speaking on this idea, Mr. Beattie explains that too many different opinions can add unnecessary stress. “The student needs to be the one who is proud of the final essay,” said Beattie. He recommends having conversations with people and receiving verbal feedback on the essay, but to avoid having other people write on your essay. By using this method, it allows students to choose which feedback to take and which feedback to reject.

The college essay is undoubtedly one of the most important parts of the college process. Luckily, SHS is full of teachers, guidance counselors, and students who are happy to help seniors think of ideas and to allow each student to create a final product of which they are proud. At the end of the day, you are the one who should be happy with your own essay. When you feel confident, chances are you are on the right track.