A Day With the Father of Transcendentalism

Charlie McDonald, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Isolated, secluded, and immersed inside a tucked-away world full of empty fields, colorful trees and flowing streams, eleventh-grade students at Scituate High School left the fluorescent lights and enclosed walls of their classrooms and journeyed to a far away place: Hingham. On Wednesday, November 16th, SHS juniors spent an entire school day at Hingham’s famous nature conservation, World’s End, while having the opportunity to meet an important historical figure, Henry David Thoreau.

Well, not exactly the real Thoreau. Students met Richard Smith, who spends his time portraying Thoreau, the infamous “Father of Transcendentalism.” Smith’s portrayal of Thoreau stems from his early childhood. Born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio, Smith found himself questioning authority and labeling himself as a “rebel to society.” His job has demanded him to go to places across North America, including Massachusetts, Minnesota, Texas, Maine, and even Quebec.

Smith confessed to being a singer in a punk band, which led to his desire for transgression against the societal norms and sparked his troublemaking tendencies. Smith disclosed that one of the overlapping qualities between himself and Thoreau are these rebellious traits and a strong desire to stray from society. Also, they both share a deep desire to assimilate into nature and live in the depths of the wilderness.

Smith argued that he is “a historian, not an actor,” when being questioned about the origins of his interest in acting. He found himself agreeing with the basic principles of Thoreau’s way of life. He is very opinionated about his personal views on transcendentalism, believing that “nature is sacred.” He alluded to the idea that God is present among all things present in the world. Smith remains extremely passionate about nature’s ability to inspire, sustain, and make for him –  as well as any other individuals willing to fully immerse themselves in nature – a lifetime of serenity and happiness.