Prom: A Night of Gold and White

SHS Juniors Look Forward to Record Breaking Prom Attendance

Allison Irish, Staff Writer

The infamous junior prom — an event that is remembered for the rest of a high school student’s life. For many, it is a fond memory — a night full of joy and glamour. The dresses and tuxes, the lights and music, the smiles and the laughs — every detail is a keepsake.

This year, Scituate High School’s prom is scheduled for May 6th, 2016, at Granite Links Golf Course in Quincy, Massachusetts. The class of 2017 student government has been working hard to accommodate all 360 students who are expected to attend the “gold and white” prom. According to the high school’s prom committee, headed by the student government, unlike previous proms, only about 19% of SHS juniors are planning to bring another junior as their date. 81% of the juniors have invited seniors, lower classmen, or students who attend other schools. With such a large number of students from different grades attending, the excitement is building even more rapidly throughout the entire school.

Due to the overwhelming ticket sales for this year’s prom, the student government decided it was necessary to rent an eighth bus to transport students from SHS to Granite Links. Four tables were also added to the venue. Junior class president Cameron Blanks stated, “This year is one of the biggest proms that SHS has ever had before, and the class of 2017 student government is committed to making sure that everyone has the best night possible.” Many students — about 60 more than last year — are counting down the days until they will line up, dressed and ready, on May 6th in the school gym during the promenade: the presentation of the students to the Scituate community.

Each day the stress level and excitement is felt even more in the halls of SHS. The tickets have been paid for, the dresses are being bought and hemmed, the tuxes are out for rent, and the wait has set in. One of the 2017 class advisors, Ms. Lesniak, explained, “Prom is going to be extremely exciting. I think it is always really stressful for people in the weeks leading up to it but I think all that disappears in the night when people have a really amazing time.”