The Scituation

Scituate High School's student newspaper

The Scituation

The Scituation

Polls

Are you addicted to Wordle?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Front Street Gallery Showcases Student Art

Front Street Gallery features Scituate High School student artists each spring

In March, The Front Street Gallery, located in Scituate Harbor, showcased Scituate High School students’ artwork. The exhibit featured a diverse range of artwork, including 2D pieces, 3D sculptures, and photography, selected by students in various art classes. 

This yearly tradition allows students to have their art in a gallery setting–a first-time opportunity for many student artists. SHS senior John Driscoll, who has taken both AP 2D Design and Drawing, stated that since he creates art for himself, the “public element is something I don’t think we as artists tend to feel” and that it creates an “enriching feeling.” Driscoll is heading to Rhode Island School of Design in the fall with aspirations of becoming an art teacher. 

SHS art teachers Julie Hickey, Jessica Maguire, and Sheryl Pace have ambitiously organized and encouraged students to share their artwork at the Front Street Gallery. Students feel the art teachers at SHS have motivated them to try new materials, understand techniques, and constructively critique their work. Maguire stated that her role as an art teacher is to “be their cheerleader and to be a safe place…and or allow them to feel like they can explore art in different mediums.” Maguire emphasized how hard it is to put yourself out there, but she encourages her students to take on challenges in their artwork and presentation. 

SHS students select their own artwork to present in the gallery. Maguire stated, “We give students the option to pick something from their portfolio.” The piece becomes something the artists are naturally drawn to and attracted to, something people have seen on a board outside. Driscoll chose a piece on a larger scale than usual, noting, “The stark contrast between black and white helped pull the eye of the viewer.” Students selecting their own artwork enables the viewers to understand each artist’s self-expression and creative direction in an eclectic display of works.