Holiday Movies: The Favorites

Holiday Movies: The Favorites

Mary Stevenson, Staff Writer

With a significant amount of time spent at home over the past year, one way to spend time while inside is watching movies. Movies provide a way to enjoy the time while not having to worry about what’s happening outside. Watching movies allows for a great time spent with family and friends. With the holiday season coming to a close, there are endless holiday classics to be watched and enjoyed by all. 

In asking students at Scituate High School their favorite and least favorite holiday movies, there seemed to be a few movies that came in first in the minds of many. The movies to choose from were How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, The Polar Express, Home Alone, Frosty the Snowman, A Charlie Brown Christmas, Elf, A Christmas Carol, Scrooge, A Christmas Story, and National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation. Added to the list by student’s choice was Friday After Next, It’s a Wonderful Life, and The Nightmare Before Christmas. 

In seeing the survey results, it is clear that students at SHS have strong opinions about the holiday movies that they watch and love. In thinking about holiday movies there can certainly be feelings and reasons brought up as to why movies are strong favorites for some.  

Out of nineteen responses, A Charlie Brown Christmas and Home Alone were tied for first place. In second was How the Grinch Stole Christmas and Elf which are holiday classics that are talked about very often. In third place was National Lampoon’s Holiday Vacation, followed by It’s a Wonderful Life coming in fourth place. In the last place, but still, a holiday favorite chosen by a SHS student was Friday After Next. 

In seeing the favorite holiday movies for students, it seems that many have the same ideas on how to spend their holiday time and what movies they enjoy. However, some holiday movies are considered to be classics but are not enjoyed by all. 

In seeing the least favorite movies from students, in first place for the least favorite was Scrooge. Many students seemed to have found Scrooge to be scary when they were younger and this fear still reigns true in rewatching. In second place was Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer followed by A Christmas Carol, The Polar Express, Home Alone, and A Christmas Story, which were all tied for third place. Following behind was The Nightmare Before Christmas and National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, which were tied for last place.

Some movies are loved by some but not by all. There are many reasons as to why these movies may not be liked whether it be because they were scary when people were younger, or they were not enjoyable to watch. In contrast, the movies that are loved by many seem to have been enjoyable movies when they were younger and still are enjoyable to watch when growing older. These movies continue to spread cheer and bring a sense of happiness to all when watching them.

The holidays are the perfect time to spend with those you love and care about. One of the best ways to spend that time with the important people in your life is watching movies, and what better movies to watch during this time, then the holiday classics.