Dungeons and Dragons Club Meets at Scituate Library

Miles Bowker, Staff Writer

Aspiring Dungeons and Dragons players need not look far to play the popular role-playing game. Scituate’s own public library, located at 85 Branch Street, may not strike you as a D&D mecca, but looks can be deceiving. Aside from your run-of-the-mill books and movies, the library is home to an assortment of clubs, each boasting its own niche appeal.

The so-called “Teen Room” is host to a large part of the club activity at the Scituate library, including the new Dungeons and Dragons club. The club took inspiration from a group of Scituate seventh graders who would come to play the game at the library.

After seeing the group playing multiple times a week, Teen Services Assistant Kate Jasinski thought it would be a good idea to introduce Dungeons and Dragons as an official club. Now, students from sixth to twelfth grade are welcome to try their hand at D&D every other Thursday from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. at the library.

Dungeons and Dragons has been a popular game for teens since the late 1970s and recently has seen a resurgence in popularity. Junior Jack Sanchez described D&D as a “role-playing game,” consisting of different characters. Players are given personal statistics and make decisions in an effort to navigate through a plot. It may sound complicated at first glance, but as the game moves along, a beginner will easily pick it up.

Jasinski says that around eight or nine members routinely attend the club: “During our first meeting, we made our own giant playing board out of a piece of cardboard. Now we use it (at) each meeting.

“There’s a lot of laughing, playing D&D, and eating snacks,” as Jasinski explained, the club is welcoming and overall enjoyable for all teenagers.