The Hate U Give

The Hate U Give film adaptation is stunningly powerful

Morgan Seghezzi, Staff Writer

The Hate U Give is a stunningly powerful film adaptation of Angie Thomas’s best-selling novel about the impact of police violence and racism on the black youth of America. The movie hones in on the struggles faced by many black people and how vastly different they are treated by some members of society. The main character, Starr Carter, goes through struggles that include police brutality, racism, and death. She finds her voice in the outcry of the American people, proving to others that you shouldn’t be afraid to stand up for what you believe in.

SHS seniors Isobel (Izzy) Trafton and Holly Savane both saw the film, and they shared their insights. Trafton said she went to see the film because she wanted to “gain some knowledge about what’s really happening in our world today.” She said, “I thought it was a prevalent topic in today’s society.” Senior Holly Savane said she could relate to some aspects of the story. Savane referred to the main character’s challenges; in particular, she could relate to Starr’s “two versions of herself–one for home and one for her majorly white school.”

The movie tugs at the audience’s heartstrings and stirs a variety of emotions. “It made me feel really sad and upset because we don’t really know how to fix these problems,” commented Trafton. Savane shared a different perspective: “It made me feel good. I’m glad a movie like this is out there now because I hate when these types of problems aren’t talked about.”

The Hate U Give might put you on an emotional roller coaster, but what is the message? Trafton believes the movie is about “telling others to stand up for what you believe in, and if you want to fight for your rights, then you have to because it is a serious and prevalent topic in today’s society.” She said, “We must do everything we can to support everybody.”

Both Trafton and Savane said they would 100% recommend seeing the film. “This movie brings to light how much teenagers need to realize what is going on in society,” commented Trafton. Students who are interested in social justice will agree The Hate U Give is a powerful movie and the story’s message requires society’s full attention.