SHS Swim Record Broken By Freshman Megan Nelson

Scituate Mariner Photo

Halle McCormack, Staff Writer

Three Seconds — to almost anyone — means nothing. However, in swimming three seconds can determine almost everything: a landslide win or loss, the chance to qualify for the next meet, and whether or not you shatter a record. Shaving off a few seconds of your time in a race takes multiple months. But, on January 9th, Freshman Megan Nelson broke the 100m butterfly women’s record at SHS by 3.1 seconds, with a time of 1:00:71. 

Nelson began swimming at age eight for the local Knights of Columbus swim team and decided to start continuing into the winter. She swims competitively with her club swimming team, Sailfish. Her love for the sport is her motivation, describing “ an awesome feeling of support” from both teams. Nelson highlighted her love for the “swimming community,” which includes more than just her local teams. Through different programs, meets, and camps, she has met other dedicated athletes who make the competitive atmosphere more enjoyable — another reason she loves the sport. 

Going across the country competing in impressive meets, Nelson is currently working to qualify for the USA Futures meet, which will be held this upcoming summer. At home, she hopes to continue her strong season with Scituate through the state meet and “improve [her] record.” 

Senior captain Catey Smith recognizes how helpful it was when Nelson came to the high school, especially with the loss of many seniors last season. Smith also highlighted that Nelson’s records have “encouraged everyone to push themselves.”

Nelson acknowledges the whole team for having fun and working really hard to accomplish their goals. She also recognized sophomore Brian Hixson who has also broken SHS records and numerous other swimmers who have qualified for sectionals and states. She was nominated for Wicked Local High School Athlete of the Week, where she was recognized for her success in the butterfly. With only a few meets left, don’t forget to support Nelson and the rest of the SHS swim team!