2013-2017: Scituate High’s Metamorphosis

Christina Pelletier, Features Editor

As the senior class prepares to embark on the next chapter of their lives, they leave behind a high school that looks fairly different from when they started four years ago. To the average passerby, the changes may be unnoticeable, but to the graduating SHS senior, the past four years have been full of a myriad of structural, systemic, and cultural changes.

Senior students have experienced the loss of the traditional senior privileges, the implementation of a new schedule, and the changing of the graduation robes. They have been among the first to utilize the tables at the stoop and the new art wing. They had a first-hand view of the new SAIL Awards initiative, the creation of new clubs, such as RealCon, and the new parking arrangement. The only constant at SHS, it seems, for the past four years, has been the metamorphosis of the policies and climate of acceptance.

At the forefront of many of these changes has been the administration of Scituate High, led by Principal Robert Wargo. “The changes have always been to better serve the students’ needs,” said Wargo. Acknowledging the structural alterations that have occurred over the years, Wargo believes the philosophical changes have been the most important: “I hope that, for you guys, in the four years you’ve been here, you’ve felt like each year got better, more comfortable and welcoming. You felt like it was a place you could fail, and it would be okay, and people would help pick you up, but you also needed to learn how to pick yourself up and bounce back.”

Wargo acknowledged the line between structural and philosophical changes isn’t always clear cut. For example, replacing the gender-specific graduation robes, a culture shift championed by Wargo, was “all about trying to bring the students together.” He elaborated on this idea as he stated, “We’re uniting our senior class on the final day of high school and that one color represents everything.”

Cultural changes have most likely created the greatest impact on the students of SHS. Senior Sabine Adorney, President of Student Council, has tried her best to be involved with decisions that impact student life. Adorney echoed some of the administration’s sentiments, stating, “Overall, I think the feelings in our high school have been more positive. People have been nicer and more accepting. They are more educated on cultural proficiency and all that stuff.”

Adorney conceded that the schedule-oriented transitions have been positive, especially the addition of H-Block, but she expressed fear at the possibility of a change to the current exam schedule, citing a potential decrease in study time, which could cause additional student stress.

Students aren’t the only members of the SHS community reacting to the many changes: teachers have also felt their impact. Samantha Lesniak, history teacher and advisor to the Class of 2017 student government, acknowledged that she has seen an increase in student devotion to school and a “willingness to work hard and to take school seriously.” She was quick to point out, though, that this transition came with drawbacks: “It’s also come with an increase in unhealthy stress in students, in terms of how much they focus on grades.” She said, “There’s more of an effort by faculty to support the whole student, not just the academic student.”

Like all high schools, SHS still has room for improvement. Wargo expressed a desire to implement freshmen learning communities to help ease the transition to high school. He also noted the changes to the start time of the high school as well as how to adapt to the new location of the middle school.

Wargo supported the idea of creating a woodshop or mechanic-oriented space and corresponding course in order to enhance the diversity of course offerings.

Lesniak is hopeful for the implementation of more collaborative environments outside of traditional classrooms.

Adorney’s recommendation for future additions was a senior lounge, and she cited a need to give seniors more privileges.

While these exact changes may not become a reality, it does seem that the metamorphosis of Scituate High will continue over the next few years.

This senior class will graduate from a school that has changed noticeably in four years time. Hopefully the Class of 2017 will be remembered for promoting a culture of acceptance and adaptability.