Girls Only Lifting Program Brings Change to SHS

Sumner Harris, Contributing Writer

With the school year coming to an end and final projects wrapping up, there is one particular class that has been working hard for the past few months to positively impact the SPS community. Service Learning, which is a class taught by SHS history teacher Heather Willinger.

One project that has had a positive impact on the students at SHS was the Girls Only Lifting Program. This program lets girls get some time in the gym separate from the boys.

SHS sophomore Mia Cerussi, who has been working on this project for some time, said her inspiration was “seeing that girls would feel more comfortable in the gym if there was a space for them.” Cerussi said she took that information and “put it into action.” The overall goal was to “create a space where girls can work out confidently in the gym,” but they also hoped to provide the girls with a personal trainer who teaches participants how to lift efficiently. 

The Girls Only Lifting Program ran for several weeks in the spring and many participants noticed an improvement in their confidence in the gym. Sophomore Sarah Beal expressed her thoughts on this clever idea: “It’s such a great idea that I’ve had the privilege to attend. It’s a lot of fun, and I know lots of people are benefiting from it.”