Sports Provide an Escape During the Pandemic

Mary Stevenson, Staff Writer

The year 2020 has changed everyone’s lives. Every aspect of life that used to be called “normal” has been flipped upside down, and everyone has had to adjust to a “new normal.” For many students, before the pandemic, sports was something they looked forward to. With COVID-19, sports at Scituate High School, and across the nation, had to adapt to the circumstances at hand. 

At the beginning of the pandemic, when sports were halted for weeks on end, people were at a loss. Among the countless other difficulties presented by the pandemic, people were forced to deal with having something so important in their lives ripped away from them. This meant that on top of not knowing what to expect with the pandemic, and being under an immense amount of stress, you were not allowed to play the sport that you love and look forward to playing every day. 

Luckily, with a change in regulations, sports have started up again. Sports restrictions began to change in the middle of the summer, shining a light at the end of the tunnel for athletes everywhere. Due to the pandemic, people have found deeper meaning in their sport, knowing not to take them for granted. Being able to play sports again has given people an outlet away from everything that is going on in the outside world. Even if practices or games are typically an hour, it is still much-needed time to escape from the reality of the pandemic. Sports have and will continue to be something that is needed in everyday life, regardless if there is a pandemic or not.