The Importance of Study Halls at SHS

Study halls are critical to some students’ success

Students use study halls to keep organized with their academics

Josh DeMontigny, Staff Writer

There’s been a great deal of conversation about the essential need for study halls at Scituate High School. Many have questioned if study halls actually provide an educational benefit to students and if they should continue to replace an extra-curricular class.

However, a lot of SHS students are seemingly opposed to this proposition. SHS senior Jason Frankel is currently taking two studies, stating that he has “a bit of breathing room this year.” Frankel is a great proponent of keeping study halls at SHS, commenting that his studies are at the beginning of the day so he takes advantage of his senior privilege to “get in an extra hour of sleep.”  (As a senior, Frankel is able to come in an hour late if he has a study hall during his first block.)

Frankel admits that he’s a “very unorganized person” when it comes to work, so sitting down in a study and restructuring is “verrrry helpful!” Frankel’s insights reflect those of many SHS students who value their study halls as a period that alleviates the burdens of academic stress. Frankel stated that he would “be upset” if study halls were eliminated from SHS, as “it would be also unfair to those who work or do after-school activities considering they’d not get home until late.” As a result, Frankel believes they have to stay up late finishing their work and aren’t adequately prepared for the following day.

SHS senior Cody Morrison shares this perspective with Frankel, admitting that with his “rigorous course load, it is good to have a break in school.” Morrison also declared firmly that removing study halls from SHS “would be an idiotic move based on an incomplete understanding of what studies are used for.”  He feels as though “some people use it for non-studious purposes, but for the vast majority of people it is vital.” 

SHS librarian Tracey Newman has a very unique perspective on the matter, as she supervises multiple study halls in the library. “They’re helpful for some students,” Newman elaborated, “students who are working and getting their work done and using the time to collaborate.” However, Newman isn’t staunchly opposed to the eradication of study halls at SHS, as many students just “use the time to use their phones though and hang out with their friends.”

The push to remove study halls from SHS doesn’t come unwarranted. The school certainly runs the risk of hosting a block in which students just mess around with no educational benefit. However, the student response to this suggestion is overwhelming negative, with students who are taking study halls stressing their importance to their schedule. The controversy and disagreement surrounding study halls at SHS will remain, no matter what decision school administrators make.