Stealing Students’ Cells

Julianne Ryan, Staff Writer

Scituate High School has a new policy being worked out regarding cell phone restrictions for the 2016-2017 school year. Administration believes that the next step toward engaging students in the curriculum is to keep their phones in a “shoe holder” for the entirety of every academic class period, including study halls. Regarding the ability for students to access the Internet for educational purposes, administration advises every student to come to school with a laptop, tablet or Chromebook. Essentially, bring anything other than a cell phone.

Although it may seem like the only possible way to stop students from snapchatting or texting in class, the cons highly outweigh the pros when it comes to enacting this policy. The teachers at SHS have rewired their classrooms to fit in with the availability of Internet resources for students in every subject. Especially over the past year, students have been able to use their cell phones regularly in all different classes, under full permission of administration. The restrictions for next year will cause both students and teachers to need another period of adjustment, as the atmosphere of the classroom will have moved back in time.

According to an article from Use of Technology, “It is very important if a student has a personal phone to use and contact their parents, head teachers, or police in case something wrong happens.” Administration has not considered the aspect of danger that having a “shoe holder” will cause in a school emergency. During a fire drill, students will want their phones. Teachers are put at high risk for damaging students’ phones if they have to bring this “shoe holder” outside with them. The policy will put both the students and teachers at risk during an evacuation.

Using cell phones has become a valuable resource for accessing learning materials in the classroom. So, why is the next step to take away every opportunity that using cell phones provides for them? There are some students who misuse this privilege. However, teachers often don’t enforce their own cell phone policies, which causes students to take the threat of consequences lightly.

Mr. Wargo is all for the new “Bring Your Own Device” rule for next year. When asked about the policy, he said, “We’re trying to push Chromebooks. They will be $160. That’s not free, but it’s reasonable.” It is very true that a majority of students in Scituate will be able to invest in this learning tool. However, there will be many students who consider $160 far less “reasonable” than he believes. Having a phone might be more expensive, but it also provides them with far more accessibility than another device could.

SHS administration needs to take in mind the negative effects that cell phone restrictions will have on the building. The only possible way that the school will benefit is to have teachers enforce a cell phone policy that is just one step more threatening than the current one. Teachers should begin to allow students to use their cell phones at certain times, but enforce the rule that when they are not allowed, they shouldn’t be in sight. If students have less leeway regarding cell phone use, they will become aware of when their cell phone is necessary to use or not. The new cell phone policy will completely disrupt the school atmosphere, and it is not necessary in order to provide students with the education they need.