Molly Ryan Earns Valedictorian Distinction

Molly Ryan will attend Dartmouth College in the fall

Adeline Oliver, Contributing Writer

Molly Ryan, co-editor-in-chief of The Scituation, has been named the Class of 2023 valedictorian. Ryan will attend Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire, in the fall.  As the recipient of the prestigious Daughters of the American Revolution Good Citizen Award, Ryan was also recently recognized for her leadership and commitment to the community.

Noting that one of her proudest high school accomplishments was participating in the American Legion speech competition during her sophomore year, Ryan credited this experience with giving her “a lot of confidence” in her public speaking ability. 

When asked who at SHS has impacted her the most, Ryan cited her English teacher: “Mrs. Hall has been an influential figure because she gave me incredibly honest writing advice, and she made me feel more confident about my writing skills but was always open to critiquing me and helping me be the best version of myself.”

During her senior year, Ryan and fellow seniors Kelly Granatino and Emma Riedel, the class salutatorian, led the school newspaper team as over 300 stories were published on scituation.net, and a 32-page print edition was created for graduation. 

Having enjoyed many SHS courses, including AP Psychology, World History, and AP Language and Composition, Ryan expressed enthusiasm about her college plans: “I’m looking forward to the independence and freedom as well as the ability to choose my own classes and also discover new interests.”

When asked what advice she would offer current high school students, Ryan emphasized the benefits of getting involved because “nothing ever bad comes from saying yes to opportunities.” 

Ryan’s contribution to the SHS community, devotion to helping others, and strong work ethic make her a positive role model for many SHS students. Known for her efforts to create a more inclusive culture through her work with Best Buddies, the Principal’s Advisory Council, and Model United Nations, Ryan has made a lasting impression at SHS.

With a passion for learning about the environment, cultivated while researching with the Cohasset Center for Student Coastal Research (CSCR), Ryan plans to major in environmental studies at Dartmouth College and positively contribute to this growing field.