Model UN Delegates Excel at NYU Conference

SHS seniors Victor Bowker and Anna Kelly were awarded “Best Delegate” distinction

Casey McKeever, Staff Writer

Scituate High School’s Model United Nations club recently traveled to New York City for New York University’s Model UN conference. At Model UN conferences, students take on the role of a country or a person in specified committees that model the real United Nations. While over 60 SHS students tried out for this conference, there is limited space per school, and only 26 SHS students attended. This tight-knit group of dedicated students left the high school at 4:30 a.m. on Wednesday, November 16th, to catch a 6:25 a.m. train out of Westwood. Accompanying them were SHS history teachers Heather Willinger, Kelly Trayers, and Kristen Emerson. 

Outside of the fourteen hours of committee sessions, students enjoyed sightseeing throughout the city. Students visited the United Nations headquarters, Ellis Island, the Statue of Liberty, and the 9/11 Museum and Memorial. Students woke up very early to sightsee, and from approximately 1:00 to 10:00 p.m. they were in their Model UN Committees at NYU.

SHS junior Tessa Norton shared her experience and said, “I have done three in-person conferences, and two online conferences due to COVID. All of them have been so exhilarating.” Trayers, who was an advisor during the trip, said, “Visiting students while they are in their committees is my favorite part because it is awesome to see them showing their research and critical thinking skills while they give speeches, discuss compromises, and create resolutions to really complicated global issues.” 

Model UN challenges students to dig deep into their research and discover multiple resolutions. SHS junior William Nicolo commented, “The best part about the club is the community that you build throughout the process of preparing for and going on the trips.” Model UN at SHS is a welcoming club that creates long-lasting friendships while working to find solutions to real-world crises. Trayers added, “My second favorite part about the club is seeing the students who were not necessarily best friends build close friendships within the club and on these trips.”

Although the Model UN trips include late-night debates and research preparation, there is still time to bond with team members and create memorable high school experiences: “I’ve gotten to meet multiple international students that I still have relations with today,” explained Norton. Along with strengthening friendships at SHS, the Model UN conferences allow students to make connections with students from different states and countries. 

Over the past two years, the Model UN club has been unable to travel out-of-state for conferences due to the pandemic. This year’s trip brought back the excitement and passion for Model UN at Scituate High School.

SHS students also earned awards at the conference. Seniors Anna Kelly and Victor Bowker received Best Delegate awards, junior Claire Murray and sophomore Allison McGourty received Honorable Mentions. Junior Ava Dukhon and sophomores Savana Garabedian and Brendan McCarthy received Verbal Accommodations.

The success of Scituate students indicates the club’s future is looking bright. As they look forward to attending conferences in Boston and Washington, D.C. later during the academic year, Model UN members are continuing to work diligently on their preparation.