A Virtual Thanksgiving

Halle McCormack, Co-Editor-In-Chief

For as long as I can remember, my family and I have gone to New York City the night before Thanksgiving. It’s truly a remarkable experience: the lights shine through Times Square, and Christmas decorations line most buildings. With The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade pulling millions of families just like mine to watch balloons, floats, and bands march down the street, understandably, the parade is virtual for Thanksgiving 2020.

The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted almost every part of life for the past seven months in the US. With the initial quarantine leading to Massachusetts’ structured reopening, precautions for numerous events have been taken, including postponing or creating a virtual event. As Thanksgiving heads our way, a holiday where most students and families take advantage of the long weekend to visit family and friends, it is clear it won’t look the same as it usually does. With the fear of transmitting the virus to loved ones, many families have made the difficult decision to forgo their usual plans for a simplistic Thanksgiving with their immediate family.

Senior Emma Smith usually heads to her aunt’s house to spend time with her extended family and friends on Thanksgiving. Although this is an event she has enjoyed in the past, her immediate family decided that “[they] don’t want to risk transmitting the virus to [their] grandparents and relatives at high risk for COVID.” Instead, she will spend Thanksgiving with her parents and siblings, and for that, she is still grateful. Smith added, “I hope we can go visit them soon.”

With Thanksgiving also comes Black Friday–a day of shopping with discounted prices and an early wake-up call to get the best deals. These deals draw thousands of consumers to crowded stores, which will be heavily policed by companies this year to prevent Coronavirus transmission. While this may upset some eager discount shoppers, don’t forget about Cyber Monday, the long-lasting tradition of getting similar offers online. This more accessible and safe way of shopping is necessary for the country, especially with the continuing rise in COVID-19 numbers in the past weeks. 

Although the balloons won’t fly past Central Park and customers won’t be flocking to the mall, Online viewers will still enjoy the parade on TV, and you can find deals online. The hope of being back on the streets and in stores provides excitement and enthusiasm for the future. For now, if you do choose to travel, make sure to follow Massachusetts travel guidelines to keep everyone safe.