SHS Librarian Enjoys Helping Students

Susan Lydon likes to make the library a welcoming atmosphere

Jane Naylor, Contributing Writer

Whenever walking into the SHS library, there is always a smiling face sitting behind the long checkout desk, which is probably decorated for the holiday of that month. This person would be our second-year librarian, Ms. Susan Lydon. 

Unsurprisingly, Lydon enjoys reading. Her favorite books include anything by Charlotte Bronte, and more recently some young adult books.

Before her arrival at Scituate High, Lydon attended Bates College in Lewiston, Maine, where she received her Master’s degree in English. Lydon did not always aspire to be a librarian, but in college, she was introduced to it more as she worked in her school library at Bates. Then she continued to study more in library research. 

According to Lydon, she chose to work at SHS because she “liked the location and that it was known for a strong school system.” Having grown up in Braintree, Lydon is familiar with the South Shore. 

Lydon has made major improvements to how students can use the library in fun or productive ways. If ever bored in study hall, Lydon always has a puzzle that is waiting to be put together as you enter the tables in the library. This year already, Lydon has been working with Ms. Frongello on some exciting upgrades for the Maker Space, the large room located to your right as you enter the library. Opened in December, the Maker Space includes Makey-Makey tool kits, Raspberry Pi gaming kits, and Lego boards.  Arts and crafts supplies and the new 3D printer are also available. In addition, Lydon would like all students to know there are many new young adult and nonfiction books that are waiting to be picked off the shelves. 

When asked what she would like students to know about the library, Lydon said, “I’m always here, so ask for help on research with citation and databases and evaluating databases.” Despite the fact that Lydon is only in the school building until 11:45 a.m. every day, she is always willing to help students with anything from books to research–or even puzzles.