Despite missing school, one students finds renewal during quarantine period

“It’s something everyone has to deal with, so we should make the most of it.”

Sarah Villa, Contributing Writer

When I initially heard that we would be out of school for three weeks, I didn’t know what I was going to do with myself during all my extra free time. Many of my friends were also freaking out because we were unsure of what we would do while being quarantined in our houses. 

However, I have found my time off to be quite entertaining and not as boring as I thought it would be. With my free time, I have been able to do more things that make me happy. I have focused on learning and playing songs on my ukulele. I’ve had lots of time for working out, baking and cooking, and spending time with my family on walks with our dogs. At times I have felt bored, but mentally I am in a good place. I miss being with friends, but the break from schoolwork and stress has been beneficial for me. 

However, I really miss school and interacting with everyone I see. Having a schedule in my day has always been a necessity for me in order to maintain productivity. With the “Coronacation,” I have struggled with being productive, but I am getting on the right track. To keep up my academic skills, I have been completing any assignments posted by my teachers on Google Classroom. I even got my driver’s permit and plan to spend all this free time driving on the roads, which seem to be mostly empty because people are quarantined in their houses. 

Overall, I think there is plenty to do while being quarantined, despite the massive amounts of negative energy toward it. People should take the time to pick up a new hobby, do things involved with self-care, and try not to overreact about being in their houses for this time. It’s something everyone has to deal with, so we should make the most of it. 🙂